Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Best Of Teaching in Turkey

Only six weeks left before fly over to Turkey. I am excited and am gathering new ideas for the classrooms. Anyone reading this, if you have some fantastic tried and true methods or some funky fun songs or chants that you know please share them with me. I am always open to hearing new ideas. (chrissie@guidedbalance.ca)

Turkey is a beautiful country. Working in the schools with the teachers usually turns out to be more fun than work. What I love the most is that what the media has shown the world is not exactly true. Talk about getting 'unplugged'. Of course I only speak/write from my own experiences. Things change and happen last minute in Turkey all the time. Now in my family it is my sister who 'makes things happen with no notice and everyone has fun'. She pulls off these events and everyone may groan and say.... yea, OK sure..... I'll do that or be there, but in the end it is for the good of us all and always done from the heart (and we have great memories of times together). In Turkey this is daily life. If something gets cancelled, something else it planned in a matter of minutes with a few phone calls. Go for a drive and end up visiting someone, then end up spending the night. Hosting is never a chore for Turkish people they absolutely love to have people in their homes and in their company. Even the rituals of greeting guests as they arrive are unique. Upon entering a home and sitting down you are offered cologne for your hands and also a piece of candy. Sometimes these are offered by the children of the home. Then depending on the time of day you will be offered tea, or Turkish coffee and sweets or a plate of fruit. OH, the fruit tastes superb. Best peaches and cherries I have ever eaten have been in Turkey.

Every effort is made to make guests comfortable. I have found that my hosts even understand if I need to lie down for a short nap. (go go go in Turkey, sometimes this Canadian girl can't keep up).

Spending time in groups and being with lots of people is the norm. A deep understanding that material possessions come and go and that all that is really secure is the relationships that have been created and nurtured over time.

The beauty of the sea and mountains, and of course the history. History every where you look. A lot of it is uncovered and made into Tourist attractions but so much of it is just left as it is and anyone can to take a 'look see'. Where we are staying is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Take a look at the pictures at sencamp.com.

Turkey is a Muslim country and many women wear a head scarf. I get asked all the time if I have to wear one while in Turkey and the answer is absolutely not. There are women who do not cover their heads, it is a personal choice. I have on occasion worn one for a day to show appreciation for the head scarf that was gifted to me. I think they are beautiful and I felt comfortable and pretty wearing one.

I could write on and on about how much I enjoy teaching and traveling in Turkey but perhaps more another time.

I have made some very special friends in Turkey and certain ones have a place deep in my heart. I trust that someday I have the pleasure of hosting them here in Canada.

No comments: