Monday, June 11, 2007

are emotional wounds sometimes important for growth?

The story I posted below is one that have been cruising around the net for years. Although it is a story with a good lesson there is more to the story. As I am always in the process of becoming a better human being my view on this story has changed somewhat. Although I try to never speak out in anger there are times when it serves a higher purpose to speak your mind to another EVEN when we know it may be hurtful. Have you ever witnessed an injustice upon another person or animal and became so angry you were moved to take action? (even if by yelling or speaking your mind). I remember a time about 25 years ago that someone lashed out at me in anger while I was at work (in the lunchroom actually). I was hurt and embarrassed but also more careful with my words after that time. Later (much later) I respected the woman who had the courage to call me on my behaviour, and prompt me to change.

Not long ago I was on a bike ride with my husband. As we rode past a historical rail road building I noticed a young man taking a leak on the building while an older woman (possibly his mother) was waiting. Although it may have been a bit embarrassing for my husband I yelled to this guy to have some respect for our city's history and gave him a piece of my mind. Even though I am sure they did not appreciate my 'intervention' nonetheless I hope this young man would think twice before doing such a thing again.

My point is with both examples is that sometimes silence is not the answer. There are times when silence means acceptance. In the whole scheme of the world situation these are trivial things really. Who am I to 'right the world'? Well I alone do not have the power, understanding, knowledge or wherewithal to right the world but I can step up to the small everyday things in my own backyard... but firstly keeping in mind that it all starts within oneself.

1 comment:

Off The Wall said...

yes chrissy, i think that holding people accountable is never easy, but is usually the right thing to do. I admire the way that you do it so effortlessly and you don't even come across as mean. You definately have that sussed. I must have a blockage in my throat chankra or something, because I find it difficult. However, that does not stop me from trying. I must be trying real hard because I have spent most of my married life making my husband feel like crawling under a stone whilst we are in public, with his "you can't do that" and " I can't believe you said that". Just the other week I gave a woman in a checkout cue a dressing down because she was being mean to the cashier. Unfortunately I think I embarased the quitely spoken British cashier. (just trying to help)
I tend to warn Chris now by telling him that "I am not fit for human consumption today".